Want to learn how to really enjoy and get the most out of your theme park trip? I have some proven tips to share with you.
If you have already booked your trip there are still some tips to help you out. Even if you can’t use them all there are still some great tips in here to keep you happy while at the park of your choice.
- Pack Light – If you don’t have little ones, take as little as you possibly can. This works great for places like Disneyland, because you can skip the bag check line and pass up all those people. We load up the boys cargo shorts with things we might need, like snacks, phones, cameras and sunscreen. You never have to keep up with a bag and in the end, we have never missed the bag.
- Be Willing to Eat in the Park – This is a big one for me, because I like good food and good food is hard to find in a park, and it’s expensive. We try and choose a hotel with a big breakfast, then we pack snacks in hopes of just needing to eat a light lunch. Try and find healthy food so you don’t make yourself sick and miss out on all the fun of the park. We don’t like to waste time leaving the park and re-entering, so we just try and find something there.
- Don’t be Cheap, Drink Lots of Water – Especially during the summer, stay hydrated. You don’t want to ruin your day and get sick because you didn’t drink enough. Try asking for a free glass of water at the counters. I know Cedar Point has to give them out. Other things we have done in the past is carry a reusable bottle and filled it for FREE at the water fountain. Our kids also have fond memories of us buying a HUGE water bottle and walking from our motel to the Disneyland entrance, we couldn’t enter until the whole bottle was gone. That was our way of making sure they started the day hydrated.
- Wear Good Shoes – There will be lots of walking no mater what park you are intending on going to, so make sure you have good shoes. Our family runs from ride to ride, because we keep track of how many rides we can go on during the day and write it down when we get back to the hotel in the evening. Here’s a comment from my daughter when she wore the “cute” shoes instead of the comfy shoes.
- Check School Calendars – I mention this tip a lot, but it has given us some great vacations. You pay so much money to go, you might as well try really hard to find out when the area is out of school or when they go back. We have done Cedar Point late August a few times because they had gone back to school and we hadn’t yet. We also hit the California parks once we get out, but before they get out. We almost always use this tip. You can see from the picture above, that April is a great time to go to Great America in California, we had the place to ourselves.